Old 29-11-2005, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default If you are Po faced, don't open

He didn't know Sacha is currently the Grand Master.
--
Martin

Quite possible. Not checked it out.

Mike
The truth will prevail

Not able to help with present, but a word from a Past Grand Master.

__________________________________________________ ___________________-

A Message from the Most Worshipful the Past Grand Master Eileen Gray CBE

"Having been a Lady Freemason for almost 50 years, l am delighted that
younger generations are using the most modern technology to disseminate
knowledge about our our Order, the Honourable Fraternity of Ancient
Freemasons.

No longer can Masonry be referred to as a Secret Society - it never was. But
it has served the Press to believe so and to propagate that image from time
to time.

Our Fraternity is open to women of any age, race or creed. The first
question asked of any applicant is "Do you believe in God?" The answer must
be in the affirmative, but how one worships is a matter for the individual.
Freemasonry is not a religion though its teachings have a moral tendency.

lt is difficult to describe the immense satisfaction one gets from being a
member, suffice it to say that it is an organisation of exceptional amity
and support, both between members and to the outside charities who benefit
from its generosity.

We have Lodge Meetings where behaviour is of necessity formalised, but
Festive Boards and Socials (which are often held to support charitable
causes), make for a programme as varied and as interesting as you wish to
make it. Commitment both in attendance or participation is entirely up to
the individual.

The reason why Women Freemasons have decided to "go public" is twofold:

The Commons Select Committee told representatives of Men's Masonry, who were
the subject of investigation by the Committee at that time, that having
established their status and their charitable accomplishments, they should
be more open with the public and dispel the "secrecy" image. Because many of
our members are married to Masons, we have generally adopted the UGLE lead
on such matters, although it must be emphasised, the United Grand Lodge of
England has no jurisdiction over us.

Secondly, despite nearly one hundred years of women's participation, we
thought it high time to dispel the notion that Freemasonry exists only for
men. Even among women married to Masons we have perceived a lack of
awareness of our Order.

All those who are already Masons, need no telling how much Freemasonry means
to them and how it has enriched their lives. But to those who are not yet
members, but who find themselves attracted by its Precepts, l say to you "
Go ahead, and make the first move ". You will not be disappointed."

Hope that helps

Mike
The truth will prevail

:-))