Old 29-11-2005, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default Ipomoea seeds

In article , Mike Roscoe
writes
Mine have! I 've saved Ipomoea seeds for the past six years and they have
always flowered true to type, 'Star of Yalta'; now it seems re-named,
'Grandpa Otts'. However, a friend in the USA sent me seeds of his
I.quamoclit 'Cardinal Climber', which came to nothing. Perhaps the seeds
needed more warmth early spring here in the UK.

Mike Roscoe

Ha! I gave up on them, visitors all thought that they were
columbine/bindweed and one even pulled one up as she waited for me to
answer the front door!
The double red ones were really lovely but I noticed that they didn't
set as much seed as the others, and once put in you'll be getting the
white ones with stripes for YEARS............ I had to keep picking off
the flowers in case they cross pollinated the red doubles. Though I
tried to trace back the tendrils of the white ones and pulled them up
only to see three red double ones slowly wither from the top about 10
foot up,
it dawned on me slowly that I hadn't chosen the correct stems

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph