Old 29-11-2005, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Wormery: Has anyone got any ideas for making one?

Dave H wrote:
There is no point in a wormery: anything worms will eat can go on

the
compost heap, and anything they won't eat will just discreetly
disappear in most heaps. Yes, I know rats can sometimes be a

problem
with the meaty bits: but how much meat do you throw away, for
heaven's sake? I'd be more worried about blow-flies and their
maggots; and even they won't do you any harm. I'm even rather
sceptical about the value of the liquid feed you're supposed to

get
out the bottom: I'm amazed that Dave gets gallons of it...I mean,
_gallons_?

Composting is about fungi and bacteria, not worms..

--
Mike.

I can only say that in my experience the rats will turn up in the
compost heap for almost
ANY kitchen scraps not just meat, and the worms in the wormery eat
pretty well any
Kitchen waste we chuck in. (we don't dispose of meat by either

method)
We have only had the wormery for maybe 3 months and have already

used
~4-5 pints and have
~10-12 pints stored for next season
Dave H

I'm impressed. But not to the point of imitation!

--
Mike.