Old 29-11-2005, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel

Default Horsetail Roots

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message from "Mel"

Well, green tops say that either, the weedkiller didn't kill all the
topgrowth (so some roots are alive and well), or the topgrowth has since
regrown (so some roots are alive and well).

But TBH it's very unlikely any weedkiller usable
on a veg plot, has had much effect on such a deep and extensive root
system. This is likely to be a long job. I'd start collecting barrier
materials to spread on all the soil surface (old tarpaulins, black
plastic sheet, cardboard cartons). .

(It would be a bit unusual for an out-going allotmenter to spend money
weedkilling, so possibly the allotment group knows more about this).

Hi, Janet, thanks for your reply. I believe that the allotment holders
adjacent to my site sprayed (or they persuaded the council to spray) because
they were fed up with the weeds infecting their areas. My site was also
covered in carpets, plastic, cardboard and whatnot as a barrier. I don't
know how long my site was abandoned, but there are absolutely no veggies
growing there at all; just bare soil and weeds.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/melanie...key/allotment/

Although there are loads of roots, there are only a few actual green
horsetails still growing, which is why I wondered if the weedkiller had
mostly done its job or if, in fact, horsetail dies back naturally at this
time of year.