Old 29-11-2005, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Roscoe

Default Bird Seed Feeder

"Mike" wrote in message:.

Collared Doves!! That quite amazes me. Sparrows yes but wow that's a big
bird to take

---
My wife and I have watched a female sparrowhawk plucking a collared dove
in our garden. The dove was captured on the bird table roof, carried to the
ground and stayed alive whilst the hawk tore away most of the breast
feathers. Eventually the hawk flew off with the dove dangling and flapping
underneath. Nature in the raw!!
Later in the day the hawk returned, swiftly flying in circles around our
garden and the bird table. Much better than seeing it all happen
on television.

Mike R.