Old 29-11-2005, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn Newbie needs help

Guys - Hello and G'day

Thanks so much for the responses. Looking through the lawn this stuff
is everywhere - circa 60% +..

It is mower proof unless I scalp the lawn then it leaves lots of
yellow, spiky grass stems that aren't really proper grass - more like
tubes with broad leaves off them. My wife called it jaggedy arsed grass
as its not the most comfortable to sit on I suspect its a wild
grass - a local suggested kikuya but he wasn't sure. Having looked at
about 50 sites I am pretty sure its not crabgrass or several other
species. They all look the same online

The growing seasons in NZ are spring and autumn. I was told that a lot
of lawns slow down during the summer months as they go dormant in the
heat. So as summer here runs from 1st December to end Feb, then I plan
to kill off the grass and prep the soil early feb ( 4 weeks of roundup
and some new soil / levelling/ fertilising), then get the new seed down
at start Autumn. This time will provide a warmish wetter climate for
growing.

For new lawns - please tell me if this is a proper process.

Roundup/ Weedkiller (Strong) - Wait 2 weeks.

Rake dead plant material off surface.

Fertilise soil and rake/water into the surface.

Wait 2 weeks - Roundup any new growth/ weeds etc..

Rake ground level, add some soil to any low areas. Roll / Walk all over
till flat and firm. Rake top to loosen up and sow seeds with some lawn
starter fertiliser.

Water and keep moist.

Watch grass and weeds grow.

How do I control the weeds etc if I can't put down any weedkillers etc
as they might damage the young grass? Is it a case of walking on the
lawn and pulling them out?

Thanks again

Ged