Old 30-11-2005, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

Default Its getting pretty cold..Cabbage Question

Farmer Joe wrote:
Hi: I live on the edge oof 5-6...St Louis area. I've got my
brussel sprouts inside a little hoop house plastic wrap deal and Its
about 32 F right now. I've got 12 cabbages..6 market prize and 6
red and they seem to like the cold. It got down to 18 2 weeks ago and
they seem fine. How much cold before they will start to complain???
Thanks.. Joe MC

If it has been down to 18, it's about time to bring in that cabbage.
Much colder than that and the outer leaves will start to show damage and
may have to be removed so they don't rot. Cabbage tends to keep longer
if the outer wrapper leaves are in good condition.
The brussel sprouts can stay out a while longer.

Steve