Old 30-11-2005, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Default Bird Seed Feeder

ned wrote:
Yes, it's a cruel world out there. And it's us meddling humans that
make it easy for the sparrowhawks.

(snip)

Once in the car with my husband we saw an old man waving his arms
around seemingly trying to catch something on the pavement. Eventually
I saw that it was a yellow canary. I got out the car and asked if I
could help. The man told me it wasn't his - by then the bird had got
into a hedge and was in someone's garden. I opened the side gate to get
in, but within seconds a magpie swooped on it, took it to the edge of
the roof of the house and took the canary's head off in a flash. Yurk
(