Old 30-11-2005, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tennis maynard

Default illegal orchids or orchid smuggling.....

K Barrett wrote:

I see what you are saying, Rob, but is hangianum from Taiwan? Sorry to
split even finer legal hairs, but the US recognizes Taiwan, the Chinese
don't, and all this is beyond the mere judging of flowers...

As to your second point I agree. IMHO this policy changes the job
description from orchid judge to orchid cop, something I'm not trained
for. Its frustrating. How are you going to know beyond a shadow of a
doubt (or a preponderance of the evidence) that a plant was made with
hangianum? How are you going to know if that isn't mere jealousy?
People have been sued for less, or so I'm told.

Yes, and to be fair and consistent, anyone who is on a judging team
which judges or even sees a plant that later is deemed to have been
illegal should be prosecuted and punished as were Selby and Michael
Kovach. Ain't life grand under the neo-nazis?