Old 30-11-2005, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mark Anderson

Default What is This Tree, and What Can I Do About It?

In article says...
I take it from both of your replies you don't have any idea what kind
of tree it is.

The seed pods look similar to trees that I have (Zone 5 Chicago) that
sprout up around here like weeds. I like them because they grow fast
and provide lots of shade. They do need constant trimming on a yearly
basis or they try and stifle the growth of all the trees around them.
Mine shed seeds late Spring. I thought my trees were a Chinese elms but
after a couple of google searches it appears they're might be its
******* cousin, Ulmus pumila, Siberian elm.

Check out:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...eet.cfm?ID=134

And no, you can't get your neighbors to cut down their tree because you
don't like the leaves. Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if
this were legal? One krotchity neighbor could theoretically have all
the trees in the neighborhood cut down.

It's better to work around the tree schedule as just another fact of
life like cold winters or rainy springs. Do you lament Mother Nature
for making it rain when you want to paint your house?