Old 30-11-2005, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Bird Seed Feeder

Oooh, careful Mike. That statement about Leylandii being used for
nesting might raise a few feathers.

Me? Raise feathers? Never ;-)

The implication is that it is not trimmed.

It is trimmed, but ...

A well trimmed Leylandi

not 'well' :-))

would be too dense for most nesting birds.

we have kept the height down but there is still plenty of room between
branches for nesting birds. I 'believe' we had a Blackbird and possibly
Pigeons in there this year, but not sure on the latter.

While it amuses me to see sparrows and finches fly straight at
hawthorn and blackthorn hedging and be seemingly swallowed up by the
open foliage.

we have quite a few Quickthorn hedges and the Sparrows love them :-)

And our sparrow hawks adopt a very swooping approach. I think they
must 'case' the garden activity from afar and then make their approach
using all the available cover, swooping around the end of the house
and a tall tree before dipping into the garden. And if they draw a
blank, they are not averse to stopping on a fence rail or hopping
through some sparse shrubs before taking their leave.

I think that our garden where the birds are might be a bit too small for
them. The 'bird active' part is only 20 ft x about 40 ft and surrounded by
trees and bushes and almost secluded. Not quite sunbathing in the nuddy if
you see what I mean

Mike
The truth will prevail