Old 30-11-2005, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Import of plant from USA

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message
I am about to import a plant from the USA and have sorted shipping etc.
It
will have the relevant plant US permissions, however, the exporter says:-
"You'll need an import permit from DEFRA .You have to live near the major
international airport, where you can get plant(s) inspected or hire a
broker, who can do everything for you."

Unless it's very simple I need a broker.
Any help much appreciated

Any help much appreciated

People to ask may be Hosta and Hemerocallis collections in the National
collection scheme as they would probably do it regularly try looking for
contact info on www.nccpg.org

Thanks Charlie. I have got a list from DEFRA website of all the approved
plant importers in the UK. As I now know a bit more info about the procedure
I can not think that anyone in their right senses would really want to get
involved. I am about to fill in the form for a licence but as a private
individual it chucks up a few problems for DEFRA/ HM customs.
Incidentally www.nccpg.org at the time of writing this have forgotten to
renew their domain name