Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Import of plant from USA

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
"Mike Lyle"
[...]
Broadening the discussion, I wonder if it's time to stop the
importation of plants altogether. Is the, perhaps minor,

increased
risk of introducing pests and diseases worth it, balanced

against
any, perhaps modest, benefit?

--
Mike.

If we banned the international movement of all living creatures

and
the trade in fruit and veg etc etc then you might make a more
sanitary
environment (boringly sterile)

I was actually raising a serious question, in the hope of serious
discussion. The RHS shares my concern, and a paper on the subject

was
presented at a conference at Reading University last week.

--
Mike.

My answer was quite serious.

You mean "serious", as in "banning...the trade in fruit and veg"?

The plant in question is coming from the USA and can't be moved
without a phytosanitation certificate issued over there. Once the
thing arrives it will not be shifted until DEFRA have physically
inspected and certified it. Finally it's up to me to report

anything
I notice amiss. you want How much more safety do you think we

require?

The worry is that those measures seem to have proved insufficient in
the past. There are several reasons: the cleansing and inspection
regimes don't seem to be perfectly effective; and even if you are
skilled enough to notice something amiss and responsible enough to
report it, some of the things we may be at risk from are microscopic,
or may evolve once here (this isn't me speculating).

Do you have a link to the RHS paper you mentioned?

Good question. No. I'll look for it tomorrow. Meanwhile, if you're
staying up later than I am, key words are Professor Brasier,
mycologist, RHS, Forest Research, Imperial College, Science Exchange,
Reading University, DEFRA -- perm any or all! I don't know the date,
but 23 or 24 November '05 seem likely. Please post a link if you get
there first.

--
Mike.

Ok Mike I have now read all (I think) of the articles you mentioned along
with contributions from other speakers.
I can't see how you can say:-
"The RHS shares my concern"
The RHS have merely given a forum for a debate on a topic of interest to
everyone.
I see no mention of the RHS supporting a particular view, which is the way
it should be.

Have I missed something or some quote from them ?