Old 30-11-2005, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Impatiens niamniamensis

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
I've never got around to trying it out, but then in terms of
wow-factor, it is a bit lacking without close inspection. There's a
very, very attractive variegated form, that I've tried to get hold of
for years and which they list at Duchy nurseries, but never seem to
have. Anyone got any influence with them?

Yes! I am seeing Tracey the manager in a week or two I will ask, but they
have just had a major fire and are a bit at six's and sevens at the moment
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Well, if he plants it out in winter, it will die. It would need
fairly deep planting to protect dormant buds plus a good autumnal
mulch. Even here will almost certainly want some form of overhead
cover or evergreen shade to minimise the effects of radiational
burning on cold clear nights. My 'New Guinea' Impatiens have just
about struggled through, sited immediately below a canopy of Musella,
but they are teetering on collapse. Niamniamensis is hardier, but its
not in the same league as tinctoria. Nor does it produce the same
huge tubers.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.