Old 01-12-2005, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Alfred Falk

Default What is This Tree, and What Can I Do About It?

Ken Hall wrote in
:

Every since I move to this house (10+ years) we've had this problem.

There's a large (40 ft?) tree in the neighbors yard behind us that
sheds jillions and jillions of these tiny leaves in the fall --
http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/3...sclose24qv.jpg.

Those are the seeds of an elm tree (_Ulmus_ species).

I have no suggestions about what to do about them other than learn to
live with them. Elms are one of the most popular shade trees in North
America - for good reasons. However, in many areas they have been
attacked by Dutch elm disease (a fungus spread by a beetle).
A L B E R T A Alfred Falk
R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://www.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/