Old 01-12-2005, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

Default Impatiens niamniamensis

In article , Dave Poole
writes
Very true, but his garden is still very much colder than those on this
side of the country. That said, all credit to him - although I'm not
sure that I would want to go through fad of packing stuff up, hauling
some of it away to overwinter under glass and cladding everything else
in straw stuffed tepees every autumn. Then there is the reverse to
undertake out in spring. That's a huge amount of work.

Absolutely right Dave, he goes to an enormous amount of trouble with his
Palm Trees, and his Bananas could be used as a telephone mast. A local
magazine did a spread on him last year showing the elaborate measures he
takes regarding crating plants and then stuffing them with wadding etc.
I have to admire him for his drive as I would find it onerous to garden
in that way. However,it is well worth a visit to Norwich to see his
garden for which only a small charge is made on entry. Temperature last
night in my garden 4 under freezing - but the Impatiens in an urn in an
outside protected position is still alive - for the moment.

--
Judith Lea