Old 01-12-2005, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

Default Structor liber "flammifer"

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
La puce wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
This was introduced into our allotments by someone who thought

that
it was an interesting plant. Well, it was, initially. But it has
become a noxiously persistent weed. How can I get rid of it?

I have never heard of this plant. What does it look like?

It's very variable: medium-tall perennial; colony-forming, often in
large numbers; owes its characteristic coloration to a lack of
chlorophyll; generally pilose, with dense brush-like clusters of
filaments at the top, though this feature is less marked or absent
in
many older specimens; fortunately for areas in which it has become
an
endemic pest, unable to reproduce vegetatively; frost and drought
tender, but with great powers of recovery; some of the specimens
seen
here have exuded a marked foetid odour. Has given rise to bitter
wrangles between neighbours, sometimes ending in the courts. Easily
destroyed with traditional and modern herbicides. Tastes vary, but I
wouldn't have it in my own garden; completely unsuitable as a house
plant. Don't bother with it.

--
Mike.

Just don't touch it, seeds shed instantly and it'll be all over the
place in no time. Apply the chosen weedkiller at once.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.