Old 01-12-2005, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default What to do with lengths of timber

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

Wood rotting naturally by fungal action also releases dioxins. There is
no free lunch. Pristine woodlands actually have detectable levels of
dioxin from natural sources (with or without recent forest fires).

It comes from the way fungal enzymes attack lignin in wood...

Any chance of some type of link to this?

I can't see anything that I would trust in the free to view zone.

Google: natural fungal dioxins

Will get you some stuff but I don't trust Eurochlor any more than I would
trust the ban all synthetic chemicals brigade.

I was under the impression that fungal action was one way of degrading
dioxins into non toxic materials.

They can do either. There are lots of fungi but only a few have enzymes
that can break down aromatic chlorine compounds!

Regards,
Martin Brown

OK --Very interesting many thanks.
This is not an area of my expertise and I admit that until recently I always
assumed that the chlorine content of dioxins (whichever isomers) came from
co-existing chlorine organics reacting to form the dioxins during
incineration etc.
I now know that chloride anions are also responsible during incineration.
There always appears to be confusion over the issues of where dioxins have
come from prior to producing them by incineration. Again I had always
thought that they were introduced as the minor impurities in chlorinated
phenols etc, which are used in the timber industry.