Old 02-12-2005, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

Default O T. Visit to Madeira

In message , The
Hound writes
A friend (also a keen gardener) is persuading me to go on holiday to Madeira
with him. I'm interested to hear from others who have been; about when to
go, and what to see.

I haven't been for around 28 years and it was lovely then. I shouldn't
think it has changed much although there are probably more hotels and
holiday places nowadays. Not as hot as the Canaries. Lovely plants and
walks. Unusual water system (levada?). Cars don't rust away, so you see
plenty of vintage models looking like new. Funchal market is great if
you like gardening and cooking. Jacaranda trees. Madeira (as in the
drink) can be sampled and sent home. Tea at Reid's Hotel in Funchal.
Seafood. We went in spring. Why not do a Google search and see for
yourself?
--
June Hughes