Old 02-12-2005, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default Was Children? Grandchildren? Non gardening now:Gardeningtools to cheer up child.

La puce wrote:
Richard Brooks wrote:

Did you do the same with what we were told was Deadly Nightshade
(Bittersweet) or clumps of Arum Maculatum, holding them aloft proudly ?

I just *luv* the seed heads of the Arum maculatum. Not to eat off
course!

Glouctershire County Council gave me permission to take a few heads that
were situated near to RAF Fairford and now they're growing quite well in
my back garden.

Gardening is great for kids of all ages as they learn those things only
done once. Some memorable items from my list;
1. Bite into a Walnut husk whilst green.
2. Bite into Rhubarb whilst green.
3. Taste ripe Arum Maculatum fruit.
4. Tease wasps by poking a grass stem into the hole.
5. Throw handfuls of what was thought to be fine powdery red soil at
each other, being told later that it was dried excrement.
6. Bite into a pea without checking first.

) I did a pumpkin carving workshop in my primary school once (and
never again thankyouverymuch). A lil' one was really eager to have a go
but I had to start it for him, he was too young to hold the knife.

A bit different now, eh kids ? ;-)

As
soon as my head was turn, he took a huge handfull of the pulp and
shoved it in his mouth. When someone pointed his doings at me, he tried
to swallow everything horrified I might shout or something. Poor lad,
he turned green - and then orange.

Did it cure him and did you have a camera after saying in a half-hearted
way "no, don't do that! Stop it, no " whilst pushing another pile toward
him ? I found that putting nettles in a brown bag is a great cure for
an irritating oik who dives their hands into every bag hoping for a
handful of sweets. It's organic so it must be good for them.

It's just not the same as supermarket aisles. Okay, you don't get to
fish dead stiff cats out of water tanks but we got used to it.

LOL! You know, we always help ourselves in supermarket aisles or
anywhere selling fruits. I always put on my French accent and say it's
important that my kids taste before I buy. In my local organic
supermarket, they offer free fruits at the entrance to kids.

LOL! What a great idea. Did you take a tin opener ? It's amazing what
a French accent can do. One French girl said she'd spent the year
travelling on the trains from Croydon to London without paying a penny.

Richard.