Old 02-12-2005, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

Default to let spike or not to let spike?

"OrchidKitty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I've killed schillerianas at what I'm guessing was the upper 50s,
so I try to keep their nightly low at 64 degrees.

BTW, even a small room can have cold spots and hot spots. For example,
my growing area is above an attached garage, so the temperature at
floor level is considerably cooler than five feet above it, especially
when the temperatures are sub zero. Similarly, the side of the room
with the cast-iron steam radiator (which belches steam so I'll never
get it fixed) is warmer than the other side. Windows can be a source of
cold drafts too. If your plant is in front of a window, move it back
from the glass at night, or install blinds as a temperature barrier and
lower them at night. Venetian blinds have worked fine for me.

One of the best inexpensive investments you can make is to buy several
inexpensive thermometers and set them around your growing area. You
might be surprised at the different readings you'll get. A humidity
gauge is a good investment too.

I found it incredibly hard work & frustrating to grow in the home.Especially
controlling humidity,watering,spraying & knocking plants over etc.So had the
privilege in being able to have a greenhouse.I am in my second winter
now,the only disadvantage I can think of is the heating cost of running the
greenhouse.It is nice to be able to let loose with the watering and not
worry about spillage!A humidity dial & min/max thermometer are a must,these
should be the first things you buy when growing orchids or any plants for
that matter.
Thanks Keith