Old 02-12-2005, 08:07 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

Default Sinking pond plants for the winter

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Koi-lo" wrote:

That's not going to do them much damage when they're dormant unless the
fish
pull them out of their pots. I don't sink my plants here in zone 6 and
can't remember losing any to frost.

I sink my plants to keep from loosing the pots. Most of mine are in
terra-cotta pots which crack when the wet clay soil inside freezes. It
is amazing how much they grow under water. I have to cut some of them
way back when I bring them back up.
Terra-cotta pots are a definite concern, and they're not cheap. I use those
inexpensive black plastic pots that seem to weather the cold and ice ok.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: