Old 02-12-2005, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Default dead-heading a Christmas cactus?

William wrote:
Hello all. I've inherited a Christmas cactus, and for the second year running
it's come into a lovely pink blossom during this month. To keep it blossoming
for as long as possible, will I need to dead-head the dying blossoms similar to
dahlias?

No. It won't make a jot of difference. If you have two different clones
you might like to try cross pollenating them. Then you will get a small
fruit. The flowers are pretty much an all or nothing affair.
Unfertilised flowers will drop off spontaneously you need do nothing.

If the plant is a bit cold (and mine usually are) then the white
flowered ones go a bit pink and the yellow ones go orange.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/sierratses/page9.html

Was the first page I spotted with a selection of them on.

The fruit and seeds are worth a try if it is a cross between interesting
forms.

Regards,
Martin Brown