Old 02-12-2005, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Ipomoea seeds

On 2/12/05 9:36 pm, in article
, "Duncan"
wrote:
snip

But I just have to question one assertion in the post above. As PBRs "do not
extend to any act done for private or non-commercial purposes..." (
www.defra.gov.uk/planth/pvs/pbrguide.htm ), how could anyone possibly "get "
anyone for "propagating and giving away a few plants" with this exclusion?

You're right. I should have said 'selling' or perhaps, 'profiting from', in
case someone exchanges them for a few beers or some wine. ;-)
I can't see my husband getting in a lather over someone passing a few plants
around to friends but he and his agent have most certainly acted over a
wholesale nursery (outside UK) who thought they were getting away with
illegally propagating that Nemesia. The profits vary enormously according
to the type of plant and its popularity but they can be very considerable -
think of David Austin's roses, for example. They're sold all over the world
and this Nemesia, while not in that category, was and is still a 'nice
little earner', selling all over USA, Canada, Europe and Japan. In
California, they treat it like a perennial, which is probably not good for
business but it was interesting to see. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk