Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Interesting water

"Sacha" wrote
We made a new pond in front of the house earlier this year but didn't have
time to do the 'moving water' bit of it. Some time later when I went to
the
hairdresser (bear with me, I'm getting there!) she'd had a very small,
scruffy courtyard planted and it was totally transformed by a low, narrow
trough with a copper sheet and water running down it. It came from these
people and we're wondering if we can use that or something similar in our
new pond. As it's circular, it might be difficult but I think it would
work
with the granite and slate tiles our house is built with. But apart from
that personal angle, I thought the other things on the site were
terrifically imaginative and thought they might interest urglers.

The double arc feature is interesting, they seem to be using the water like
fibre optics. Won't have the same impact in daylight though.

The most interesting water features I've ever seen were in Northern India,
the Jai Mahal Palace Hotel in Jaipur has the most incredible Mogul water
garden. ( the restaurant isn't bad either) :-)
A feature that they use a lot is the water running down a sloping (30°?)
flat bed with crescent raised bits over the surface, each row of raised
crescents alternate just like fish scales. Makes a fascinating sight and
sound with only a little water as it runs from one crescent down to the
next. The nearest I've seen in the UK is a huge one in Guildford but it's
crude by comparison.

--
Regards
Bob