Old 03-12-2005, 02:20 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

Default Sinking pond plants for the winter

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Koi-lo" wrote:

Terra-cotta pots are a definite concern, and they're not cheap. I use
those
inexpensive black plastic pots that seem to weather the cold and ice ok.

My iris are in black plastic baskets and the tubers are bursting the
baskets. I may have to cut away the plastic to separate them next
spring.
Iris grow so outrageously I'm considering not putting them in my ponds
anymore. Their roots spread to nearby pots and they choke out other plants.
I didn't put any iris back in my 800g pond after we cleaned it last summer.
Pickerel weed is the same. I don't use them anymore. I'm going to stick to
more controllable and manageable plants like the arrowheads, mini cattails,
mini papyrus etc.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: