Old 03-12-2005, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek E Banks

Default Repotting 40 year old cactus

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Ian Keeling" wrote in message
When my grandfather died aged 99 my parents salvaged one of his cacti. I
didn't want to see it go, as I'd known it all my life.

Now, it's rather large (I estimate about 4' in height), though probably
not as large as it ought to be given its age, considering the size of the
pot it's in, which I rather suspect is the original one...

Presumably it would benefit from repotting, but I wouldn't want to risk
damaging it in the process (I hope I can avoid serious injury to myself).
Any tips on procedure? Or should I just leave it be? (Not sure of the
species - I think it may be Cephalocereus senilis). And would this be a
good activity on 26th December (right time of year probably?)

Until someone who knows comes along try this link and have a look at the
repotting section and the compost section.
http://www.succulent-plant.com/cultivation.html

I also inherited an unknown cacti but from my Mother in Law which despite
being neglected for many years on her bathroom window sill it survived. For
twelve years or so it was neglected, apart from the odd spray of water, on
our toilet window sill. A week ago I decided to divide and repot this
cacti. I found almost no root system and the soil and plant was bone dry.
Never the less I've potted up the devisions in cacti compost and given them
some water. Now I've an anxious few months to see if they flourish. If
they do I'll let you know. This plant has seemed virtually indestructable!

Derek Banks first post after lurking for a few months.