Old 03-12-2005, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Bird Seed Feeder

On 3/12/05 1:46, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

snip
For many years we had a flock of pheasants in the garden, which had
been hatched under a broody bantam. They lived wild on the adjacent moor
but would return to feed from my hand. One day , someone came to
interview me for a job with Gardener's World in which my garden could
feature as a wildlife garden in "reports from gardeners round the
country".) As we walked round, this very elegant city lady from
Birmingham asked asked what sort of wildlife I could provide. "Deer,
foxes, birds Let's see what's around today" I said, and called the
birds. A dozen pheasants promptly flew over the drystane dyke, glided
down the garden and landed at our feet. Her jaw dropped, and the job was
mine :-)

How absolutely lovely! There is a sense of enormous privilege in being so
close to wild creatures and having them trust you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk