Old 03-12-2005, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Sign of the garden centre times........

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
news
June Hughes wrote:

In the distant past, we always found that we had a lot of bickering on
urg in the winter-time.

I don't seem to remember it being that bad June. Occasionally a few
might fire off a slightly terse response when the wind was in the
wrong direction. It caused a bit of ruckus for a day or so, but
generally things were pretty even. There again, we didn't have the
disinterested interlopers whose only aim was to aggravate and snipe
either, let alone invasions from psychologically pre-pubile oiks.

I miss Alan Gould and his posts. They are made
with gardening passion!

Is he no longer posting? I agree he was very passionate about his
style of gardening and generally came out with a good degree of
quality info when it came to organics. Personally, I didn't get on
with him, but that was mainly to do with 'stuff' at Expert Gardener,
which unfortunately overflowed into this group and then we lost Tony
McCormaic . Crikey!!! E.G. - that was 5 years ago ... so was Sacha's
wedding.

Going back to the original, Sacha, the HTA (Horticultural Trades
Association) were putting out idiotic questionnaires like that back in
the '70's. I never filled them in because they failed to address the
nursery trade proper. I took the local rep to task about it once and
he glibly replied that the assumption was that everyone had both hardy
and non hardy plants. I think I muttered something about never having
seen rose bushes sold by garden furniture manufacturers, but didn't
pursue it. Logic does not seem to have improved over the years.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

I field a number of phone calls from people trying to get my "garden Centre"
to stock their range of what ever it is, When I explain that we are not a
garden centre but a Nursery they frequently assure me its the same thing,
many customers also appear to no longer realise there is a difference.
I noticed our local GC now has a branch of a well know clothing company
selling fashion items, I fear trying to turn back the clock may be like
trying to hold back the tide with a stick.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
Sig removed to avoid offending the easily offended!