Old 03-12-2005, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Import of plant from USA

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

The importers are the people who may or may not be introducing
new pathogens into their country. Who may or may not wish to impose
controls.

The exporting country already hosts any pathogens if such exist.

Oh, come on! You said it didn't take place, I showed that it did.

Nope. You quite happily quoted Professor Brasier as saying it didn't!

Here's what you posted -

a) as has Professor Brasier of Forest Research and Imperial
College. He reckons "We don't move large numbers of animals around
the world for disease reasons, and we shouldn't do it for plants
either."

According to Brasier (and you) we don't move large numbers of animals
around the world for disease reasons.

I claimed we don't do it, but for other reasons.

You then turned round and claimed b)

we do in fact move large numbers of animals around the world, namely
NZ lamb to the Middle East.

Which I claim is for religious reasons and so not relevant.

So which is it? Which of your previous claims do you still agree
with, a) or b)

Do we, or don't we, move large numbers of animals around the world?

It seems unlikely to me that Professors Brasier and Ingram, and
perhaps even the editor of _The Plantsman_, have base motives; but if
you suggest it, you should be prepared to prove it. Your evidence?

--

So Brazier, a mycologist I believe, isn't pitching for the job of
"Fungus Czar" then ?

A straight yes or no will do.

"Tough on fungus tough on the causes of fungus" - imported plant material

Nobody cares about fungi - who wants to know about athletes foot,
potato blight, or black spot on roses. Clearly Brazier has been
facing an uphill struggle throughout his entire career.

Now his moment is come. The country faces invasion by foreign
pathogens. (All of a sudden)

It's quite obvious to me, if not to you the game Brazier is playing
here.

michael adams

Mike.