Old 03-12-2005, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Repotting 40 year old cactus

"Ian Keeling" wrote in message

When my grandfather died aged 99 my parents salvaged one of his cacti. I
didn't want to see it go, as I'd known it all my life.

Now, it's rather large (I estimate about 4' in height),

(er, oops....Usenet Rule 1:Always read the question.)

Just to confirm - this specimen is approximately four feet tall ?

though probably
not as large as it ought to be given its age, considering the size of
the pot it's in, which I rather suspect is the original one...

It's simply that it's being foour feet tall might seem to conflict
with an obsevation that the plant could still be in its original pot.
As presumably its girth would have expanded at least to some
extent in the interim. Unless it was grossly overpotted to start
with for some inexplicable reason.

Also, if it is indeed 4ft tall, then any approach to repotting might
need to be modified accordingly. Clearly tongs cut from old bath
sponges are out of the question for a start.

michael adams

Presumably it would benefit from repotting, but I wouldn't want to risk
damaging it in the process (I hope I can avoid serious injury to
myself). Any tips on procedure? Or should I just leave it be? (Not sure
of the species - I think it may be Cephalocereus senilis). And would
this be a good activity on 26th December (right time of year probably?)