Old 03-12-2005, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
P&L

Default Adding Fluorite - Any Ideas?

The first time I rinsed fluorite, I used a bucket and hose and filled,
stirred and dumped again and again and again. After about 10 cycles, I
realized the rinsewater wasn't getting any clearer. The process was just
wearing the grains down and creating more dust. The guy at the LFS told a
story of people washing their fluorite until the $40 bag was down to a cup.

The trick is to do a reasonable rinse - gently a few times. - then you're
done. Now you need to get it to the bottom of your tank with a minimum of
agitation. That's the part I'm trying to find an easy solution to.

Phil

If you start by rinsing the flourite then what little cloudiness that
you get will go away within a day. For small batches of flourite you
can use a fine mesh kitchen strainer and a gentle stream of water. Stir
the flourite a little until the effluent is clear. For larger amounts,
you can use a 5G bucket. Fill with a strong hose, stir if necessary,
and pour off the dirty water. Repeat until you are satisfied with the
result. Usually it takes at least four repetitions but it goes fast.
The result is clean enough to put in the tank without special measures.