Old 08-02-2003, 08:00 AM
david

Default Greenhouse heater problem

Does anyone know can you burn Kerosene (central heating oil) in a
greenhouse heater

Yes you can. what you have to be careful of is the sulphur content.your
supplier should be able to tell you , or find out for you.
I think it has to be below 0.05% but I cant swear to that figure.
with a stove burning without an external flue excess sulphur will burn your
plants and work like a dose of weed killer.
I have known a glass house of tomatoes wiped out over night when a heater
burning diesel blew back and the fume was released into the glass house
instead of going up the chimney.
Around 1000 lost in a matter of hours, and there's nothing you can do about
it once they have been dosed.

ONE FINAL THOUGHT about the heater not burning blue, ....could be you have a
yellow flame heater. these produce a lot less heat for the amount of fuel
they burn, and are of much less use than a blue flame heater.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk