Old 04-12-2005, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
GARLAND HANSON

Default to let spike or not to let spike?

Keiki paste on paphs??? If this works, I'M IN!!!

I've used it with about the same success as Tennis but only on phals.

Garland

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I've wanted to try it on paphs. I didn't know the Supreme Commander had
moved. Thanks for the info.

K Barrett

V_coerulea wrote:
Buy a small tube of keiki paste. It works for me about 80-90% of the
time. I think it's well worth it for small numbers or to save a valuable
plant. I got mine from the Supreme Commander in CA (I think he's now in
WA). I just use a little every year and keep it in the frig. Remove the
shield from the 3rd bud up from the bottom, apply a small amount of
paste, and you should notice a swelling of the bud within 1-2 weeks. You
can have a keiki ready to remove in 3-6mo depending on the plant. I have
saved a few plants this way as the parent plant died soon after I removed
the keiki. It's so easy I don't know why any phal fanatic doesn't use it
routinely. I haven't tried it on any other genera but I might this
winter. Good luck.
Gary

"J Fortuna" wrote in message

So I have this phal schilleriana seedling, that has only one leaf left,
and
now it is in spike. Should I let it spike or not? The only reason why I
am
even considering letting it spike is that I do not know whether it is
capable of growing more leaves from its crown or not, and if it is not,
then
maybe it will spike and grow a keiki on the spike? I do not have any
evidence of crown rot, but I have no evidence of new leaves from the
crown
either (it has been a one-leaf plant since March). This is the phal that
have been meaning to put into a sphag'n'bag cure, but have not gotten
around
to yet -- it has not been getting any worse nor any better since March as
far as I can tell. I assume that the spiking is a last attempt at
survival,
but if I let it spike and it does not keiki, will it be more likely to
die
than if I cut the emerging spike?

Joanna