Old 04-12-2005, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

Default How long can fish go w/o eating when it's cold

On 4 Dec 2005 01:40:48 -0800, "The Space Boss" wrote:

Anyway, how long can the fish go without eating in the cold? Thanks.

As Shazam mentioned they will be fine. Mine in the koi pond go from
mid-October till sometime around mid-March to April without hand delivery.

My lily pond, which is the "happy" pond that Shazam mentioned, the fish
don't get fed by me throughout the summer. It is "happy" because there are
lots of plants, lots of surface area and few fish... only goldfish. Though
several of them get to come in and winter inside where they are fed.

Oh, and as a further note. We have a "serious" koi ponder in our club. The
type that catches and checks his fish twice a year. He checks for sores
fall & winter and also weighs them. He found his koi didn't lose any weight
from fall to spring. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a