Old 04-12-2005, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies

Default Wasp nests - best time to remove?

"Flummoxed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks

I know this topic has come up before, but we have a massive wasps nest
in the loft. I realised it was there in the summer, but I thought I'd
wait till winter to get rid of it, then try to seal up the holes where
they get in, following previous advice in this group.

I gather that by December the wasps would normally be dead, but

because
of the mild weather we had (apart from the recent cold snap) they may
still be alive. I still find the odd drowsy looking wasp around. Can
anyone tell me when would be teh best time to remove it, when I can be
sure they're dead? I don't want to risk doing it too soon, and disturb
them (not to mention getting stung!), but if I leave it till too late
next year, the queen wasp might be active building a new nest - any
idea when they start doing that (I guess it depends on the weather)?

Is there a time when they would be guaranteed to be dead, e.g. Jan or
Feb?

Any advice welcome and thankas for reading this.

Cheers

Flummoxed

I am certainly not an authority on wasps. I have merely been reading
this site and other sites http://tinyurl.com/dyfj5. It appears that,
apart from the queens, all of the other wasps will die during the winter
and the nest will not be used again as the queens make off and build
other nests in the spring. So my advice is to leave well alone, now
that you have put up with them for so long.

Other good reading:

http://tinyurl.com/dl2hx

http://tinyurl.com/8ly7g
[Open in new window]