Old 04-12-2005, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Default Mulching Leaves Safe for Soil pH?

"Jim" wrote in message
link.net...
There's usually no problem mulching leaves or other plant material. As
long
as its mulched fine enough to breakdown quickly. Avoid mulching during
wet
or damp conditions.

That caught my attention. Why avoid mulching while wet ? They break down
quicker when wet. When I used to use a shredder I kept a hose going
continuously on the output. Do you cover your compost pile to keep it dry ?
A dry pile of mulched leaves will take a long time to cook - a wet pile will
produce heat in 48 hours.