Old 04-12-2005, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden
Warren

Default Mulching Leaves Safe for Soil pH?

Srgnt Billko wrote:

That caught my attention. Why avoid mulching while wet ? They break
down quicker when wet. When I used to use a shredder I kept a hose going
continuously on the output.

The key here is you kept the _output_ wet. If the leaves are wet before you
try to shred them, they don't shread as well.

Also, whether or not it's suitable to just shred and leave them on the lawn
depends on how many of them there are. I vac and shred the leaves from my
biggest tree, and they produce a pile of shredded leaves that's 10'x10', and
about 9" deep. The area that they fall in is about three times that area,
but that would still mean I'd have a 3" layer of shredded leaves covering
that part of my lawn. If all I did was run the mulching mower over them, by
the mid-point of leaf season I wouldn't have the strength to push the mower
through the remains, and it would probably stall-out, anyway.

On the other hand, in my back yard I have a lot of smaller trees, and it
does just fine with the mulching mower.

Now if someone thinks I'm exaggerating, next fall they're welcome to come
over and demonstrate how a mulching mower would be enough on my front lawn,
as long as they're willing to post a bond large enough for me to have the
damage repaired in the spring.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

This fall, vacuum up your leaves instead of raking:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...r/blowers.html