Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Charles

Default Adding Fluorite - Any Ideas?

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 08:53:57 -0500, "P&L"
wrote:

Still tweaking a new plant tank, 1 month old 90 gallon. Initial startup
plants are in, co2 running, chemistry good. I have some final re-arranging
of rocks and wood to do, plus I need to add to my fluorite substrate. Any
ideas on how best to get more fluorite to the bottom without turning the
tank into a particle soup?

I was thinking of using a margarine container, gently top up with water,
then put the lid on. Bring it to the bottom and slowly pour out the
fluorite. Make little piles in this way all over, then spread it out later.

Another suggestion from the LFS was to use a PVC tube, a couple inches in
diameter, and pour the fluorite down the tube. Might work.

Ideas anyone?

Phil
Ottawa

What I did, dump it in and wait. It all settles out eventually.

If you want a real mess, try pottery clay.