Old 04-12-2005, 02:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek

Default Sinking pond plants for the winter

Stephen Henning wrote:

"Koi-lo" wrote:

Iris grow so outrageously I'm considering not putting them in my ponds
anymore. Their roots spread to nearby pots and they choke out other
plants. I didn't put any iris back in my 800g pond after we cleaned it
last summer.
Pickerel weed is the same. I don't use them anymore. I'm going to stick
to more controllable and manageable plants like the arrowheads, mini
cattails, mini papyrus etc.

Iris is one of my main filter plants. I will need to transplant it
every 2 years to manage it. Also, they are very heavy to move. I will
be moving them into many smaller pots. When I sink it on the bottom (2'
deep), the leaves grow up out of the water by early spring.

I grew Iris, bare-root, in the head pond of my waterfall. You'd have to
pull out half of it every summer and compost it, but it works great as a
filter plant. I let it freeze solid, too.
--
derek