Old 05-12-2005, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default wood ash on veg plot

"H Ryder" wrote in message
I'm just digging our vegetable patch over and intend to grow:
potatoes; beans etc; brassicas and roots in 4 quarters next year.
We have an open fire which we use fire lighters to light but then
just burn wood on. Can I put
the ash onto the veg garden (or any other part of the garden) and if so
which of the 4 quarters can ~I put it onto. Thanks in advance,

Wood ash* contains around 6% potash and thus is useful for flower
formation. Flowers on beans, flowers on tomatoes etc. Although
again quite how potash promotes flowering is a mystery**.
Wood ash is also high in lime. Which is nice, or maybe not if
you're already on alkaline soil. The best soil test in any
case being the actual results at the end of the season.

michael adams

* 6% according to one source. ISTR different species of wood produce
different figures. But wood ash is definitely a "good thing".

** ISTR reading its effectiveness in this regard is based on the results
of deficiency trials. i.e. No potash - no flowers.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)