Old 05-12-2005, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim

Default Mulching Leaves Safe for Soil pH?

"Steveo" wrote in message
I routinely mow up as many leaves as possible with my mulching mower
instead of removing them by other means. Never had a problem. I check
soil PH every few years and haven't seen any diff either. Mulching
them that way is conveneient and beneficial to the soil and lawn, as
long as you don't mulch too much at one time.

That's all well and good as long as he has kept up with his fallen leaves
so far, but if he hasn't cleaned up his leaves until now (Dec 4) he's
asking for trouble by not doing the required yard clean-up first, if he

has
substantial leaves.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Then take all the leaves to the burn pit. The remnants from this, the ink
in the burnt paper and cardboard, et al will all mix up and keep some other
type of foliage happy.

Or do a one time this season all leaves mulched at once. The grass will
adjust to the PH change, if it exists. Then readjust as mulching is done
more often.

The leaves will all go someplace and decay someplace. Its better now than
in some plastic bag a thousand years from now in a burial pit for community
trash.
--
Jonny