Old 05-12-2005, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider

Default wood ash on veg plot

H Ryder wrote in message
I'm just digging our vegetable patch over and intend to grow: potatoes;
beans etc; brassicas and roots in 4 quarters next year. We have an open

fire
which we use fire lighters to light but then just burn wood on. Can I put
the ash onto the veg garden (or any other part of the garden) and if so
which of the 4 quarters can ~I put it onto. Thanks in advance,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Hi Hayley,

Sorry for the false start - finger trouble!

The use of wood ash doesn't worry me, especially as it can have the winter
to break down. I would be more concerned about the fire lighters you used
which may have contaminated it. I don't use firelighters and don't pretend
to be knowledgeable about them, but I can't imagine many accelerants being
good for the garden generally and food crops specifically. Have a look at
the packaging - if you still have it - and see which chemical is named. I
dare say someone on this ng (not me) will be able to advise you, given
fuller information.

Spider