Old 05-12-2005, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Pot plant knowledge needed

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article .com,
wrote:

I saw a nice looking pot plant the other day, and would like to get one
for the home, but have not a clue what it would be called, or even
genus.

Genus Euphorbia.

Given that the genus euphorbia contains over 2000 identified species,
I'm sure the O.P. would have realy appreciated that piece of information
if only you'd have provided it four minutes earlier. Shame.

It was very christmassy having green leaves on the bottom half and
bright red leaves at the top. Leaves about 10cm span, and quite soft.
Height around 40cm.

As Michael Adams says, it is called a poinsettia - but, as I say,
it isn't.

Indeed it's actual botanical is name euphorbia pulcherima.
The "beautiful euphorbia "

Although whether that would have been of any more use down the Garden
Centre is open to question.

michael adams

four minutes can be such a long time on Usenet.

No matter. It isn't that hard to keep going for a few
weeks or months but, as he says, it goes green and needs special
treatment to redden up next year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.