Old 06-12-2005, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider

Default tree felling

landscapeadvice wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, did some tree felling recently in order to thin out a plantation of
200 trees, the free was a turkey oak abour 15ft tall and disfigured.
when felled to make way for other better specimens the remaining logs
and stump had black veined stains. I have never seen this before. Does
anybody know what it is?

Hi,

I don't know what it is, but I do know there is a newish disease called
'Sudden Oak Death' (Ramorum sp??). I think it is a notifiable disease
(someone here will know for sure), which means reporting it to DEFRA.

Although called 'Sudden Oak Death', it does attack other woody plants, so it
may be worth some research *and* checking other woody plants in the area
which are showing signs of sickness.

Spider