Old 07-12-2005, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Xi Wang

Default Black bloom on Phal

Most super dark Phals are of the Golden Peoker lineage, as far as I can
tell. This one sounds like Ho's Fascinating Mirage.

Check it out
http://www.cattleya.idv.tw/modules/m...o.php?lid=3719

Cheers,
Xi

Nancy G. wrote:

The local orchid club had their meeting last night and the guest
speaker was an orchid grower in KC. One of the plants he brought to
offer for sale was a phal hybrid with such dark blooms they looked
black, there was no white or lighter markings. The blooms were small,
between 2 and 3 inches and the plant was in wonderful shape.

He didn't have a tag or name, and didn't remember off-hand where he got
it. Apparently in order to grow for the bloom market, he buys untested
/ unidentified plants. They are heavily discounted for volume buyers.

Anyway, it was striking. I didn't buy it, didn't want to pay $35 for a
NOID and drive 40 miles in 20F to get it home. I am intrigued, does
anyone know of such a bloom, the lineage, what it may be called, and
where it was propagated? Next time I'm in KC, I'll try and find out
more about it, if he's able to get any more information from his
supplier.

TIA, Nancy