Old 07-12-2005, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Import of plant from USA

michael adams wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

[...]
Here's what you posted -

a) as has Professor Brasier of Forest Research and Imperial
College. He reckons "We don't move large numbers of animals around
the world for disease reasons, and we shouldn't do it for plants
either."

According to Brasier (and you) we don't move large numbers of animals
around the world for disease reasons.

I claimed we don't do it, but for other reasons.

You then turned round and claimed b)

we do in fact move large numbers of animals around the world, namely
NZ lamb to the Middle East.

Which I claim is for religious reasons and so not relevant.

I really don't understand this. I doubt if many NZ sheep farmers are
Muslims, and even if they were, they'd still be selling sheep for the
money: I call that economic reasons.

So which is it? Which of your previous claims do you still agree
with, a) or b)

Do we, or don't we, move large numbers of animals around the world?

To the best of my knowledge, _we_ don't. I said "people do". When we do
move animals, there are controls. The question is whether comparable
controls should be applied to plant movements; or, if such controls are
already in place, whether they are adequately enforced.

It would make no difference to the question if I were lying through my
teeth (which I'm not), or totally ignorant of the subject (which isn't
quite true).

..

It seems unlikely to me that Professors Brasier and Ingram, and
perhaps even the editor of _The Plantsman_, have base motives; but if
you suggest it, you should be prepared to prove it. Your evidence?

--

So Brazier, a mycologist I believe, isn't pitching for the job of
"Fungus Czar" then ?

A straight yes or no will do.

I haven't the slightest idea. On the whole, it seems rather unlikely.
But if he were, it wouldn't in itself make his opinions wrong. So,
sorry: no yes or no available.

"Tough on fungus tough on the causes of fungus" - imported plant material

Nobody cares about fungi - who wants to know about athletes foot,
potato blight, or black spot on roses. Clearly Brazier has been
facing an uphill struggle throughout his entire career.

I get the impression that he's rather successful.

Now his moment is come. The country faces invasion by foreign
pathogens. (All of a sudden)

It's quite obvious to me, if not to you the game Brazier is playing
here.

Well, no, it isn't at all obvious to me. You seem to know more about
the man than I do, so could you share your information, please?

I'm assuming that you aren't trolling, as many of your gardening
messages have been very sound; but I confess that you do seem to have
been trying to close down the discussion rather than contribute to it.
I'm going to switch off if your reply doesn't follow a chain of
relevant reasoning I can follow.

--
Mike.