Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Default rotting phal roots

Assuming that the plant is otherwise healthy (and from what you've written,
it doesn't seem to be in as bad condition as I originally thought), perhaps
the aerial roots didn't rot, but died back from *lack* of water. I've seen
that happen. The tips of the roots shrivel. Sometimes we forget that the
aerial roots might need more moisture than the ones in the pot, which are
surrounded by medium to maintain moisture.

Possible?

Diana

So does anybody have any theories about why aerial roots would rot?
Some of them are barely even touching the potting mixture. I could
understand if they were waterlogged and underground and didn't have an
opportunity to dry out, but the ones that are exposed to the air
shouldn't do that, should they? Is there some other problem that I
possibly missing?
--Vic