Old 08-12-2005, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Xi Wang

Default Black bloom on Phal

No problem, glad I could help. From what I've seen though, Ever Spring
Prince cultivars generally present with dark plum, but nothing that
could be mistaken for black.

Do you remember the shape of the petals? Ever Spring Prince has the
"classic" phal shape, whilst Ho's Fascinating Mirage has more of a star
shape, simply due to the lineage. The latter has about 20% of amabilis,
aphrodite, sanderiana, schilleriana, and stuartiana. By contrast, the
former has about 62% of those same species in it's background.

Cheers,
Xi

Nancy G. wrote:
Thank you very much. With a name I was able to search and also found
phal Ever Spring Prince "Light" black orchid. There are two
possibilities now.

He did have another of the black phals with white outlining the petals.
That may have been a sibling of the one I described.

Oh well, it was still too, cold for the drive. With my luck something
would have gone wrong with my car, and at 20F and wind chill , I didn't
want to risk it.

Again, thank you.