Old 08-12-2005, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Default will Round Up kill dormant southern grasses

When we lived in Arkansas, the Gardner came on TV and answered questions.
His response for crab grass removal, was to go out in the early spring and
look at the yard. As soon as you started seeing grass getting green again,
spray it with round up. He said that the crab grass was the first to green
up and as long as you sprayed it early, you wouldn't bother your other grass
that you want to leave.

Dwayne

"James Bond" wrote in message
Hello, I am wondering if Round Up or other similar non selective
herbicides
will kill St. Augustine and/or Centipede grasses when they are in dormance
during the winter. To extend the question, how do these herbicides work
exactly? If they are only absoarbed via the leaves, then it seems that
maybe the dormant grass leaves would not absoarb the herbicide. Any
insight into this is appreciated. Thank you.

JB